This page introduces a list of proper names from the Bible.
Some of the names are given with a proposed etymological meaning. For further information on the names included on the list, the reader may consult the sources listed below in the References and External Links.
Significance of names
Names play a variety of roles in the Bible. The names sometimes relate to the role of those characters in biblical narratives, as in the case of Nabal, a foolish man whose name means "fool." Names in the Bible can represent human hopes, divine revelations, or are used by prophets to illustrate their prophecies. See also Theophory.
Lists of biblical names
- ^ See 1 Samuel 25:25
- ^ Lockyer, pp. 11-14
- Comay, Joan, Who's Who in the Old Testament, Oxford University Press, 1971, ISBN 0-19-521029-8
- Elwell, Walter A., Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, Baker Publishing Group, 1984, ISB 9781441200303
- Lockyer, Herbert, All the men of the Bible, Zondervan Publishing House (Grand Rapids, Michigan), 1958
- Lockyer, Herbert, All the women of the Bible, Zondervan Publishing 1988, ISBN 0-310-28151-2
- Lockyer, Herbert, All the Divine Names and Titles in the Bible, Zondervan Publishing 1988, ISBN 0-310-28041-9
- Tischler, Nancy M., All things in the Bible: an encyclopedia of the biblical world , Greenwood Publishing, Westport, Conn. : 2006 ISBN 0-313-33082-4