The 8TH SS CAVALRY DIVISION _FLORIAN GEYER_ was a
About 40% of the division were Transylvanian Saxons from
Siebenbürgen (Transylvania) and Danube Swabian
Banat (Serbia and
Romania). The Training and Replacement Battalion of the 8th SS Cavalry
Division was involved in suppressing the 1943
Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
In March 1944, it was named after
Florian Geyer (1490–1525), the
Franconian nobleman who led the
Black Company during the German
Peasants\' War . Veterans from the division formed the core of the
22nd SS Volunteer
The division was destroyed during the fighting in the Siege of Budapest in early 1945.
* 1 Deployment * 2 Commanders * 3 Order of battle * 4 See also * 5 References
SS Cavalry, Russia, June 1942
The newly created division was soon sent back to the Eastern Front and was stationed in the Rzhev and Orel sectors in central Russia until the spring of 1943. As the Ninth Army planned the evacuation from the Rzhev salient in Operation _Buffalo_ (_Büffel_) in March 1943, the division took part in large-scale pacification sweeps in the weeks before the operation, alongside elements of four Wehrmacht divisions and other SS and police units. An estimated 3,000 Russians were killed, the great majority of whom were unarmed: only 277 rifles, 41 pistols, 61 machine guns and 17 mortars were recovered. As part of the withdrawal, Ninth Army's commander Walter Model personally ordered the deportation of all male civilians, wells poisoned, and at least two dozen villages razed in a scorched earth policy to hinder the Red Army's follow up in the area.
The division was then moved to the area around Bobruisk , on internal security and anti partisan duties until September 1943. In September the division was moved to the Southern front and took part in the German retreat to the Dnieper river.
The division was then sent to Hungary in October 1943, where the Panzerjager and Sturmgeschütz Battalions were combined and the Reconnaissance Battalion became a Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion. Following this reorganization the division was posted to Croatia but many new recruits were Shwoveh Danube Swabians drawn from Hungary in March 1944. In April 1944, they returned to Hungary and took part in the fighting in Transylvania after the Romanian front collapsed.
The division was trapped in the Siege of Budapest with the IX SS Mountain Corps when the Soviet and Romanian forces surrounded the city in December 1944. The division was destroyed in the fighting for Budapest, and by the end of the siege, of the 30,000 men of the SS Corps, only about 800 survived to reach the German lines.
ORDER OF BATTLE
_ Wikimedia Commons has media related to 8TH SS CAVALRY DIVISION FLORIAN GEYER _.
* List of Knight\'s Cross Recipients 8th SS
* ^ Hennes, War of Extermination, p.136 * ^ Newton 2006 , pp. 212–216. * ^ _A_ _B_ _C_ Mitcham, German Order of Battle, Volume 3. p 150
* Charles Trang, Florian Geyer Division, 2000, ISBN 2-84048-141-3 * Newton, Steven H. (2006). _Hitler's Commander: Field Marshal Walter Model – Hitler's Favorite General_. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo. ISBN 978-0-306-81399-3 .
* v * t * e
* 1st SS Division _Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler_ * 2nd SS Division _Das Reich_ * 3rd SS Division _Totenkopf_ * 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division * 5th SS Panzer Division _Wiking_ * 9th SS Panzer Division _Hohenstaufen_ * 10th SS Panzer Division _Frundsberg_ * 12th SS Panzer Division _Hitlerjugend_ * SS Heavy Panzer Battalions
* 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division _Nordland_ * 16th SS Panzergrenadier Division _Reichsführer-SS_ * 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division _Götz von Berlichingen_ * 18th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division _Horst Wessel_ * 23rd SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division _Nederland_
* 6th SS Mountain Division _Nord_ * 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division _Prinz Eugen_ * 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS _Handschar_ (1st Croatian)
* 21st Waffen Mountain Division of the SS _Skanderbeg_ (1st Albanian) * 23rd Waffen Mountain Division of the SS _Kama_ (2nd Croatian) * 24th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS _Karstjäger_
* 8th SS
* 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Galician) * 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Latvian) * 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian) * 20th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Estonian) * 25th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS _Hunyadi_ (1st Hungarian)
* 26th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Hungarian) * 27th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division _Langemarck_ (1st Flemish) * 28th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division _Wallonien_ * 29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS _RONA_ (1st Russian) * 29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Italian) * 30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Russian) * 30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Belarussian) * 31st SS Volunteer Grenadier Division * 32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division _30 Januar_ * 33rd Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS _Charlemagne_ (1st French) * 34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division _Landstorm Nederland_ * 36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS * 38th SS Division Grenadier _Nibelungen_
* 26th SS Panzer Division * 27th SS Panzer Division
* Divisional commanders * Divisions
* _ Category
* v * t * e
Einsatzgruppen _ and _Einsatzkommandos _
Commanders of _Einsatzgruppen_
* Humbert Achamer-Pifrader * Walther Bierkamp * Horst Böhme * Erich Ehrlinger * Wilhelm Fuchs * Heinz Jost * Erich Naumann * Arthur Nebe * Otto Ohlendorf * Friedrich Panzinger * Otto Rasch * Heinrich Seetzen * Franz Walter Stahlecker * Bruno Streckenbach
Commanders of _Einsatzkommandos_, _Sonderkommandos_
* Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski * Rudolf Batz * Ernst Biberstein * Wolfgang Birkner * Helmut Bischoff * Paul Blobel * Walter Blume * Friedrich-Wilhelm Bock * Otto Bradfisch * Werner Braune * Friedrich Buchardt * Fritz Dietrich * Karl Jäger * Friedrich Jeckeln * Waldemar Klingelhöfer * Wolfgang Kügler * Walter Kutschmann * Rudolf Lange * Gustav Adolf Nosske * Hans-Adolf Prützmann * Walter Rauff * Martin Sandberger * Hermann Schaper * Karl Eberhard Schöngarth * Erwin Schulz * Franz Six * Eugen Steimle * Eduard Strauch * Martin Weiss * Udo von Woyrsch
* GND : 6059873-6
Links: ------ /wiki/Waffen-SS /wiki/Cavalry